www.www.buonovino.com

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptionsDigestDigest PreferencesFAQFAQSearchSearchMemberlistMemberlistUsergroupsUsergroupsRegisterRegisterFAQSecurity TipsFAQDonate
ProfileProfile登录到私人我检查你ssages登录到私人我检查你ssagesLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Allowable lateral deflection and load

Post new topicReply to topicThank Post www.www.buonovino.com Forum Index->SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues
View previous topic::View next topic
Sandhya Pai
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:01 amPost subject: Allowable lateral deflection and load Reply with quote

Sir,
As part of my M.Tech dissertation I was asked to find out the allowable lateral deflection and allowable pile capacity of piles in Soft clay. As of now im using Brom's method for finding the allowable load, But im not getting any method to find the lateral deflection.Is there any simple methods for calculating both. My soil stratum is multi-layered soft clay deposit. Kindly help me with the same.
Thanks in advance.
Zia
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:59 amPost subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You can use P-Y method to determine lateral deflection of piles under various loading conditions. Refer to "Single Piles and Pile Groups Under Lateral Loading" written by Lymon C. Reese and William F. Van Impe.

Also have a look at "Piling Engineering" by Fleming, Weltman, Randolph and Elson. They have described subgrade reaction and elastic continuum approach for piles in uniform soils. These methods have also been extended to layered soils.

Please note that P-Y method will require software like LPile or RSPile.

Regards,
Zia
Sandhya Pai
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:32 amPost subject: Reply with quote

Zia wrote:
Hi,

You can use P-Y method to determine lateral deflection of piles under various loading conditions. Refer to "Single Piles and Pile Groups Under Lateral Loading" written by Lymon C. Reese and William F. Van Impe.

Also have a look at "Piling Engineering" by Fleming, Weltman, Randolph and Elson. They have described subgrade reaction and elastic continuum approach for piles in uniform soils. These methods have also been extended to layered soils.

Regards,
Zia

Sir,
Mine is a pile is multilayered soil deposits, and to model it I have used numerical analysis using Plaxis 3D and analytical methods like elastic approach and continuum analysis.I have also got comparable results. Now I need is to find allowable lateral deflection and pile capacity for this system. Sir im modelling with respect to a case study and I dont have experimental results so I cannot generate P-Y curve for that particular size. Is there any analytical way to get the allowable values. Thankyou for your quick reply.
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:55 pmPost subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Sandhya

Reese method and Brom's method are the two methods usually employed. Please look into Tomlinson's book for more details of these methods. I think they can be used for multi layered soils too.

Best wishes
Subramanian

Sandhya Pai wrote:
Zia wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
Zia

Sir,
Mine is a pile is multilayered soil deposits, and to model it I have used numerical analysis using Plaxis 3D and analytical methods like elastic approach and continuum analysis.I have also got comparable results. Now I need is to find allowable lateral deflection and pile capacity for this system. Sir im modelling with respect to a case study and I dont have experimental results so I cannot generate P-Y curve for that particular size. Is there any analytical way to get the allowable values. Thankyou for your quick reply.
Sandhya Pai
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:25 pmPost subject: Reply with quote

Sir,
Thankyou sir. I will continue the use of these methods.But cohesion value is to be considered and I'm confused about which cohesion value to be taken in multilayered soil deposits. I have now taken an average of the cohesion value of the two layers in the system. Is it the right way/??
Thankyou for the reply sir.
Regards,
Sandhya Pai
Dr. N. Subramanian wrote:
Dear Er Sandhya

Reese method and Brom's method are the two methods usually employed. Please look into Tomlinson's book for more details of these methods. I think they can be used for multi layered soils too.

Best wishes
Subramanian

Sandhya Pai wrote:
Zia wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
Zia

Sir,
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:39 pmPost subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Sandhya
I am out of station and will be back in my place only on 14th. Can you not use different values for different depths and integrate them. As I do not have any material here I am unable to give more accurate reply. Anyway you may give average value to get app. Results.
Best wishes
NS
Sandhya Pai wrote:
Sir,
Thankyou sir. I will continue the use of these mendhyathods.But cohesion value is to be considered and I'm confused about which cohesion value to be taken in multilayered soil deposits. I have now taken an average of the cohesion value of the two layers in the system. Is it the right way/??
Regards,
Sandhya Pai
Dear Er Sandhya

Best wishes
Subramanian

Sandhya Pai wrote:
Zia wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
Zia

Sir,
Sandhya Pai
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:14 amPost subject: Reply with quote

Sir,
Thankyou very much sir. I will try.
Regards,
Sandhya Pai
Dear Er. Sandhya
I am out of station and will be back in my place only on 14th. Can you not use different values for different depths and integrate them. As I do not have any material here I am unable to give more accurate reply. Anyway you may give average value to get app. Results.
Best wishes
NS
Sandhya Pai wrote:
Sir,
Thankyou sir. I will continue the use of these mendhyathods.But cohesion value is to be considered and I'm confused about which cohesion value to be taken in multilayered soil deposits. I have now taken an average of the cohesion value of the two layers in the system. Is it the right way/??
Regards,
Sandhya Pai
Dear Er Sandhya

Best wishes
Subramanian

Sandhya Pai wrote:
Zia wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
Zia

Sir,
knsheth123
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:58 pmPost subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. and Respected Subramanian Sir,

Pl. find the Analysis tool developed using EXcel-VB Macro for Laterally Loaded Piles.

It calculates capacity by Reeese method of p-y curves - Linear Analysis for Multi layer soils (Max. 7 Layers).

For ease of using it, the background theoretical part and sample problems are also attached.

Always use GL as 0.00m, i.e. for unsupported length above G.L. start with -ve value.
A 10m long pile with 2m unsupported length shall be treated as start of pile -2.00m and Tip of Pile +8.00m

The same can be extended for calculation of displacement for given lateral load/moment at top.

K. N. Sheth
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:23 pmPost subject: Reply with quote

Dear Prof. Sheth

Thank you very much. But you forgot to attach the Excel sheet, I think. Please send it to my email ID.

Thanks again & Warm regards
Subramanian

knsheth123 wrote:

Pl. find the Analysis tool developed using EXcel-VB Macro for Laterally Loaded Piles.

It calculates capacity by Reeese method of p-y curves - Linear Analysis for Multi layer soils (Max. 7 Layers).

For ease of using it, the background theoretical part and sample problems are also attached.

Always use GL as 0.00m, i.e. for unsupported length above G.L. start with -ve value.
A 10m long pile with 2m unsupported length shall be treated as start of pile -2.00m and Tip of Pile +8.00m

The same can be extended for calculation of displacement for given lateral load/moment at top.

K. N. Sheth
knsheth123
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:20 amPost subject: Reply with quote

I had attached two file thro' the SEFI reply proforma but is not found in the circulated mail. Attached again
Regret for inconvenience.
K. N. Sheth
Guidelines given in preceding mail:
Analysis tool developed using EXcel-VB Macro for Laterally Loaded Piles.

It calculates capacity by Reese method of p-y curves - Linear Analysis for Multi layer soils (Max. 7 Layers).

Post new topicReply to topicThank Post www.www.buonovino.com Forum Index->SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues All times are GMT
Page1of1

Jump to:
Youcannotpost new topics in this forum
Youcannotreply to topics in this forum
Youcannotedit your posts in this forum
Youcannotdelete your posts in this forum
Youcannotvote in polls in this forum
Youcannotattach files in this forum
Youcannotdownload files in this forum

© 2003, 2008 SEFINDIA,Indian Domain Registration
Publishing or acceptance of an advertisement is neither a guarantee nor endorsement of the advertiser's product or service.advertisement policy
Baidu
map