www.www.buonovino.com

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptionsDigestDigest PreferencesFAQFAQSearchSearchMemberlistMemberlistUsergroupsUsergroupsRegisterRegisterFAQ安全提示FAQDonate
ProfileProfileLog in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messagesLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

how to find Elastic Settlement of Shallow Foundation

Post new topicReply to topicThank Post www.www.buonovino.com Forum Index->New Members make Test Posts
View previous topic::View next topic
Er.Ajith_K
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:43 amPost subject: how to find Elastic Settlement of Shallow Foundation Reply with quote

Greetings!

I like to know how to calculate the elastic settlement of a shallow foundation in sand. I'm not able to the get the answer. I will provide the necessary details below:

Soil type: Coarse Grained Type
Soil : Medium Dense Sand
Avg N: 11
All bearing capacity : 130 kPa
Footing Type: Isolated Column Footing
Design footing width: 1.5m
Depth of the foundation below ground level: 2.2m
Effective depth of foundation below ground level: 1.7m

As per IS 1904, permissible limits for isolated column footing is 50mm. Actual answer I should get is 48mm but I'm not getting it. Can someone please help me in solving this ?

With Regards

Ajith
Zia
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:30 amPost subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ajith,

It will be better if you post your calculation.

From the information provided it is very hard to find out why your calculated value is not 48mm.

Based on elastic theory, settlement at the corner of a footing = net pressure x width x ((1-Poisson's Ratio^2)/Modulus of Elasticity) x Influence Factor(s).

Generally influence factors are applied to settlement formulas based on elastic method. These factors are based on depth of influence, footing depth etc. So your estimated settlement value (which is less than or greater than 48mm) will depend on the type of factors you have used in your calculation.

Please see Bowles book "Foundation Analysis and Design" for details.

Regards,
Zia
Post new topicReply to topicThank Post www.www.buonovino.com Forum Index->New Members make Test Posts All times are GMT
Page1of1

Jump to:
Youcannotpost new topics in this forum
Youcannotreply to topics in this forum
Youcannotedit your posts in this forum
Youcannotdelete your posts in this forum
Youcannotvote in polls in this forum
Youcanattach files in this forum
Youcandownload files in this forum

© 2003, 2008 SEFINDIA,Indian Domain Registration
Publishing or acceptance of an advertisement is neither a guarantee nor endorsement of the advertiser's product or service.advertisement policy
Baidu
map