www.www.buonovino.com

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptionsDigestDigest PreferencesFAQFAQSearchSearchMemberlistMemberlistUsergroupsUsergroupsRegisterRegisterFAQ安全提示FAQDonate
ProfileProfileLog in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messagesLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Deflection of RCC beams

Post new topicReply to topicThank Post www.www.buonovino.com Forum Index->SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues
View previous topic::View next topic
sukanta.adhikari
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:12 amPost subject: Deflection of RCC beams Reply with quote

Dear All,

When it comes to deflection check for a reinforced concrete beam we have total deflection as sum of short term and long term(creep and shrinkage) deflection..the calculation of short term deflection makes use of effective moment of inertia of the section...

When it comes to commercial software does any of the software calculates short term and long term deflection...in my knowledge STAAD does not calculates the short term and long term deflection...what about other software.

Regards,
S Adhikari
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:53 pmPost subject: Re: Deflection of RCC beams Reply with quote

亲爱的Er Adhikari,

Most of the software check only short term deflection. Deflection of concrete members is also a subject under constant research. The monumental work done by Branson resulted in the excellent text book published in 1977 by McGraw Hill ( Branson, D.E., Deformation of Concrete Structures, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1977, 546 pp.) His research is still the basis of ACI code.

Several other researchers like Prof. Gilbert of Australia, Prof. Bischoff of Canada and Prof. A. Scanlon have done recent research on deflection and based on that Canadian and Australian code formlae have changed. You may read the following references:

• Gardner N.J., Span/thickness limits for deflection control, ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 108, No.4, July-Aug. 2011, pp. 453- 460.
  • Gilbert, R.I., Shrinkage, cracking and deflection-the serviceability of concrete structures, Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 1, 2001, pp. 2-14 (http://www.ejse.org/Archives/Fulltext/200101/02/20010102.htm)
  • Gilbert, R.I., and A. Kilpatrick, Improved predictions of the long-term deflections of RC flexural members, Proceedings of the FIB Symposium, Prague, 2011, pp. 187-190 (http://ww2.integer.it/Web_1/database_locale/Fib%20Praga_2011/pdf/030%20596%20065%201%20Gilbert%20SE.pdf)
  • Gilbert, R.I., and G. Ranzi, Time Dependent Behaviour of Concrete Structures, Taylor & Francis, London, 2010, 426 pp
  • Bischoff, P.H., Re-evaluation of deflection prediction for concrete beams reinforced with steel and fiber reinforced polymer bars, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, May 2005, pp. 752�767, and Discussion by Gilbert, R.I., Vol. 132, No. 8, Aug. 2006, pp. 1328-1330.

• Bischoff, P. H. and A. Scanlon, Span-depth ratios for one-way members based on ACI 318 deflection limits, ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 106, No. 5, Sept.-Oct. 2009, pp. 617-626.

I feel that the serviceability limit states like deflection, cracking, vibration, etc are not given enough importance, especially in India!

Regards,
Subramanian

sukanta.adhikari wrote:
Dear All,

When it comes to deflection check for a reinforced concrete beam we have total deflection as sum of short term and long term(creep and shrinkage) deflection..the calculation of short term deflection makes use of effective moment of inertia of the section...

When it comes to commercial software does any of the software calculates short term and long term deflection...in my knowledge STAAD does not calculates the short term and long term deflection...what about other software.

Regards,
S Adhikari
sukanta.adhikari
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:29 pmPost subject: Re: Deflection of RCC beams Reply with quote

受人尊敬的NS,

I agree with you that serviceability limit state is not given much importance here.
But even short term deflection is not calculated by many softwares..

Regards,
S Adhikari

Dr. N. Subramanian wrote:
亲爱的Er Adhikari,

Most of the software check only short term deflection. Deflection of concrete members is also a subject under constant research. The monumental work done by Branson resulted in the excellent text book published in 1977 by McGraw Hill ( Branson, D.E., Deformation of Concrete Structures, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1977, 546 pp.) His research is still the basis of ACI code.

Several other researchers like Prof. Gilbert of Australia, Prof. Bischoff of Canada and Prof. A. Scanlon have done recent research on deflection and based on that Canadian and Australian code formlae have changed. You may read the following references:

• Gardner N.J., Span/thickness limits for deflection control, ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 108, No.4, July-Aug. 2011, pp. 453- 460.
  • Gilbert, R.I., Shrinkage, cracking and deflection-the serviceability of concrete structures, Electronic Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 1, 2001, pp. 2-14 (http://www.ejse.org/Archives/Fulltext/200101/02/20010102.htm)
  • Gilbert, R.I., and A. Kilpatrick, Improved predictions of the long-term deflections of RC flexural members, Proceedings of the FIB Symposium, Prague, 2011, pp. 187-190 (http://ww2.integer.it/Web_1/database_locale/Fib%20Praga_2011/pdf/030%20596%20065%201%20Gilbert%20SE.pdf)
  • Gilbert, R.I., and G. Ranzi, Time Dependent Behaviour of Concrete Structures, Taylor & Francis, London, 2010, 426 pp
  • Bischoff, P.H., Re-evaluation of deflection prediction for concrete beams reinforced with steel and fiber reinforced polymer bars, Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, May 2005, pp. 752�767, and Discussion by Gilbert, R.I., Vol. 132, No. 8, Aug. 2006, pp. 1328-1330.

• Bischoff, P. H. and A. Scanlon, Span-depth ratios for one-way members based on ACI 318 deflection limits, ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 106, No. 5, Sept.-Oct. 2009, pp. 617-626.

I feel that the serviceability limit states like deflection, cracking, vibration, etc are not given enough importance, especially in India!

Regards,
Subramanian

sukanta.adhikari wrote:
Dear All,

Regards,
S Adhikari
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:40 pmPost subject: Re: Deflection of RCC beams Reply with quote

亲爱的Er Adhikari,

As you are aware if the L/d ratio is within the code permissible limits (Canadian and ACI codes have better equations), there is no need to check short term deflection.

Having said that, I want to emphasize that in long Cantilever beams, say > 3 m, it is better to check long term deflection- as due to creep of sustained loading the long term deflection may be 2 to 3 times the short term deflection.

Regards,
NS
sukanta.adhikari wrote:
受人尊敬的NS,

I agree with you that serviceability limit state is not given much importance here.

Regards,
S Adhikari

亲爱的Er Adhikari,

Regards,
Subramanian

sukanta.adhikari wrote:
Dear All,

Regards,
S Adhikari
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:35 pmPost subject: Reply with quote

Sir,

附图是mul的一部分tistoreyed building RCC frame, in plan. The internal transverse beam is just below 10m in length and two secondary beams frame into it as a grid. The size of the beam is 450mmx650mm. What method should be adopted to check deflection of this beam ? The deflection value obtained from STAAD is within 40mm (L/250). Is it necessary to calculate long term deflection also, in this case ?

Regards,
E S Jayakumar
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:56 pmPost subject: Reply with quote

es_jayakumar wrote:
Sir,

附图是mul的一部分tistoreyed building RCC frame, in plan. The internal transverse beam is just below 10m in length and two secondary beams frame into it as a grid. The size of the beam is 450mmx650mm. What method should be adopted to check deflection of this beam ? The deflection value obtained from STAAD is within 40mm (L/250). Is it necessary to calculate long term deflection also, in this case ?

Regards,
E S Jayakumar

Dear Er Jayakumar,

In this case it can be analyzed fir deflection purposes as a simply supported beam with a Point load at mid span and udl. Since it is not a cantilever beam, the creep effects will be less. Of course the long term deflection will be greater than short term defln. I think, you need not check for long term defln.

Best wishes,
NS
mohanarbat26
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:31 amPost subject: Short and Long Term Deflection Limit for cantilever beam Reply with quote

es_jayakumar wrote:
Sir,

Regards,
E S Jayakumar

Dear Er Jayakumar,

In this case it can be analyzed fir deflection purposes as a simply supported beam with a Point load at mid span and udl. Since it is not a cantilever beam, the creep effects will be less. Of course the long term deflection will be greater than short term defln. I think, you need not check for long term defln.

Best wishes,
NS
saikiran gone
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:27 amPost subject: Re: Deflection of RCC beams Reply with quote

sukanta.adhikari wrote:
受人尊敬的NS,

Regards,
S Adhikari

亲爱的Er Adhikari,

Regards,
Subramanian

sukanta.adhikari wrote:
Dear All,

Regards,
S Adhikari

Hi Adhikari sir,

Staad software will calculate the deflection (Only short term/first order). Later designer turn to check the deflected values are within the limmit or not.

With Best,
Saikiran Gone.
Post new topicReply to topicThank Post www.www.buonovino.com Forum Index->SEFI Web Site Problems/ Login/Registration Issues All times are GMT
Page1of1

Jump to:
Youcannotpost new topics in this forum
Youcannotreply to topics in this forum
Youcannotedit your posts in this forum
Youcannotdelete your posts in this forum
Youcannotvote in polls in this forum
Youcannotattach files in this forum
Youcannotdownload files in this forum

© 2003, 2008 SEFINDIA,Indian Domain Registration
Publishing or acceptance of an advertisement is neither a guarantee nor endorsement of the advertiser's product or service.advertisement policy
Baidu
map